Many possible approaches are available including:
- Perform an ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) to confirm that an elevated casual blood pressure is real.
- Evaluate if there is a specific cause such as kidney disease for your child’s hypertension.
- Evaluate if there are other indicators for cardiovascular disease such as high lipids, diabetes, or family history.
- Evaluate if damage has already occurred to your child’s body due to hypertension.
- Begin a non-pharmacological approach such as weight loss, exercise, salt intake reduction, stress reduction.
- Begin an anti-hypertesive drug therapy if non-pharmacological approach is not sufficient or the hypertension is severe.
- We encourage you to see a pediatric hypertension specialist in your area. For information, please feel free to email us.