- Hypertension is the most common cause of stroke, coronary heart disease, artherosclerosis, and kidney disease in adults. The effects of hypertension can begin during childhood.
- It is possible to have high blood pressure for years without knowing. For this reason, high blood pressure is often called the silent killer.
- Children who have high blood pressure tend to be hypertensive as adults.
- Children with high blood pressure also often have other medical problems such as obesity, high blood lipids, and / or diabetes.
- Children with high blood pressure are more likely to have a definable cause for high blood pressure (such as kidney disease) than adults.
Facts about children and blood pressure
10th Annual NAA Conference
DATE: MAY 21 & 22, 2021 | OFFERED VIRTUALLY
Iowa City, IA
The University of Iowa | Iowa City, IA
NAA sponsors an annual conference with a focus on advances in our understanding of mechanisms involved in arterial dysfunction, its diagnosis, and the inter-relationships among vascular function, hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular and kidney disease. The 2021 NAA Conference is currently scheduled for May 21 & 22, 2021 in Iowa City.