- Hypertension is the most common cause of stroke, coronary heart disease, artherosclerosis, and kidney disease in adults. The effects of hypertension can begin during childhood.
- It is possible to have high blood pressure for years without knowing. For this reason, high blood pressure is often called the silent killer.
- Children who have high blood pressure tend to be hypertensive as adults.
- Children with high blood pressure also often have other medical problems such as obesity, high blood lipids, and / or diabetes.
- Children with high blood pressure are more likely to have a definable cause for high blood pressure (such as kidney disease) than adults.
Facts about children and blood pressure
ARTERY18 will be held at the Centro Cultural Vila Flor, Guimarães, Portugal, from Thursday 18th – Saturday 20th October 2018.
Click here for more information.